[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Subject Index][Author Index]

Umlauted characters Re: Mandarin Duck oviraptorids

--- David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at> wrote:
> > Okay,
> > So... while we're waiting... how do you do characters like the double-dots
> > over the "u" (sorry, I forgot what they are called)?
> if you have Windows, there's this little program called... called... don't
> know what it's in English. :-] Character table or so maybe

close ... Character Map

You can find the keystrokes for making these characters in this program, too.
You can make any character by holding down the "Alt" key and typing in a number
on the number pad.

ä = Alt+0228
ö = Alt+0246
ü = Alt+0252

Incidentally, the two dots are called an "umlaut" if they change the sound of
the vowel, but a "diaeresis" if they serve to indicate that the vowel is a
separate syllable from an adjacent vowel (e.g. _Troödon_, although it's
properly written _Troodon_, since the ICZN doesn't allow characters other than
the unaltered standard 26 Latin characters.)

=====> T. Michael Keesey <keesey@bigfoot.com>
=====> The Dinosauricon <http://dinosauricon.com>
=====> BloodySteak <http://bloodysteak.com>
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines