Subj:   Re: paleonet fossils and molecular data
Date:   9/13/2002 12:57:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time
From:    jlipps@uclink4.berkeley.edu (Jere H. Lipps)
Sender:    paleonet-owner@nhm.ac.uk
To:    paleonet@nhm.ac.uk, paleonet@nhm.ac.uk

I am surprised to hear such talk from paleontologists!   Paleontologists need
to cooperate with any and all sorts, and mostly I'd say they do.  Sometimes
they actually go after the discipline themselves, if it enhances their paleo.
  At the UCMP, we run a molecular lab just to combine the data with the
fossils, without having to wait for the molecular types.  Molecules give us
another historical record that we should feel very comfortable with.   Mostly
it gives us other hypotheses to test.  I have yet to see any solutions come
from it, but then that makes for real exciting paleontology!!

I think that in any science (paleontology is not an exception) when people
support only a single hypothesis, they must resort to all kinds of defenses
and attacks on those who don't go along with it.  If these same people worked
with multiple working hypotheses, used any data source to test (NOT PROVE)
those hypotheses, and were ready to add hypotheses to the list of testable
ones when additional data suggest that it  would be useful, then we'd have
far fewer of these mostly destructive kinds of interactions.

Molecules usually provide a  different set of alternative hypotheses that
paleo alone cannot generate, but paleo commonly can test them.  Paleo
provides hypotheses that molecules can't, but they often can help sort them
out.  There is no conflict! Only an elimination of hypotheses.  If yours gets
eliminated or challenged and you have no alternative, then I can understand
where this bitterness comes from.

Check the references in www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/people/jlipps/Science.html for
more about alternative hypotheses development and testing, if you are
interested.

Jere
______

Mary