Re: Cryptovolans skeletal reconstruction (AKA Monty Pigdon's Flying Czerkas)

Dann Pigdon (dannj@alphalink.com.au) wrote:

<If anyone's interested, I've attempted a crude skeletal reconstruction of
Cryptovolans, which the truly brave can see here:

http://www.geocities.com/dannsdinosaurs/cryptovolans_skeleton.gif>

  And perhaps a tad-influences by *Sinornithosaurus*? Seeing this, and
Paul's reference to it as a sinornithosaur, one can wonder at a basal
dromie group, rather than grade, where loss of flight was incurred. I
wonder also if a keel in inferred, as ther sternae are in lateral view,
un-fused (seen in *Sino* and *Micro*), and deflection of the other plate
below the closer one would result in an apparent keel. Keep in mind, this
is a taphonomic consideration based on the slightly disarticulated
specimen labelled from the BMP, as reported by Norell et al., 2001, and I
have not yet seen Czerkas et al.'s presentation.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden