Kong Tyrannosaurus

             Sorry folks, Old Business. Mr. Pickering wrote (9/12/02):

<< Marcel Delgado gave me aphotograph of the theropod puppet atop a table
coveredwith a sheet of butcher paper (I have the subsequentphotograph of the
next frame in the film roll), tryingto bite the back of the styracosaur. In
bothphotographs, the teeth are barely visible vs. thestartlingly protruding
teeth of every tyrannosaurskull known (cf. Greg Paul's Scientific American
book,page 270). >>

       I've seen one of these photographs, have a copy around here somewhere.
More important here, though, is examination of the actual film. Delgado's
model, based loosely on Knight's c.1905 AMNH restoration, has a full ( but
not necessarily accurate) complement of teeth. I invite anyone with video
equipment to look at the initial scene of the Tyrannosaurus model entering
the glade or the later scene when the tree containing Fay Wray is toppled by
the battling behemoths. If you can go through them frame-by-frame, you will
be rewarded with ample rex dental apparatus. I believe that Mr. Pickering is
being confused by the fact that the Kong Tyrannosaurus model was equipped
with Bakkerian "lips" rigged by Delgado in order for the beast to snarl ( a
favorite idiosyncrasy of Willis O'Brien ). The model also shows a remarkably
GSP orientation of the pubis and rib-cage. At any rate, if one goes through
the immortal sequence frame by frame, you are rewarded with not only
tyrannosaur teeth but also braces and views of holes in the soles of feet
used for tie-downs to hold the models steady. Remarkable frames are also
observable that would be missed at normal film speed. It was wonderful
artwork by all concerned.
       Also it should be noted here that Fay Wray celebrated her 95th
birthday last week. "Malem ma pakeno!" DV