Re: Who says dromaeosaurs can't fly?

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Conway" <john_conway@mac.com>
To: <zthemanvirus@hotmail.com>; <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 12:27 PM
Subject: Re: Who says dromaeosaurs can't fly?

> On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 01:12  AM, Brian Lauret wrote:
>
> > I think we're getting a bit off subject by now.

Back on the original subject I'm wondering if there are any animals in
todays world that exhibit many features designed for flight and yet don't
fly?  I certainly can't think of any and thus if Cryptovolans really
possessed so many features for flight than why should it not be assumed to
have flown?  It can't be proven in terms of seeing it happen but if there
are no examples in the modern world that don't fly I would think it would
strengthen the case that there is no reason to think Cryptovolans was not
able to fly.

Just imagine if these discoveries had been around when Jurassic Park was
first made.  *Imagins the prospect of huge flying raptors (owls are called
raptors but aren't related to hawks, falcons etc. why not these creatures?)
flying down from the sky to slaughter a cities inhabitants*  Now that'd be
interesting.  But no, the filmmakers can't give the animals abilities they
are likely to have had because it would make them too deadly.  Imagine a
T.Rex that can see moving objects, a twenty foot long Dilophosaurus witht he
huge slashing teeth it really had, or worse, raptors that can climb trees...
nobody would have made it off the islands.

Jonathan