Re: snap-action predation

Michael Lovejoy wrote-

> More importantly, if Cryptovolans swung it's arms/hand forward in a
> predatory strike, what did it do about the massive array of primary flight
> feathers sticking out from it's fingers and hands?

Just thought I'd quickly answer this.  In the Ostrom Symposium volume,
Gishlick (2001) showed through a detailed biomechanical analysis that
Deinonychus could have used its hands in the "predatory stroke" without
damaging primaries.  They projected perpendicular to the palms, so did not
interfere.  I strongly recommend the paper.

Mickey Mortimer