Re: aerodynamics vs display in bird tails (was Re: Who says dromaeosaurs can't fly?)

>At 11:33 AM 18/09/02 +1000, Colin McHenry wrote:
>>I don't know what the 'Golden Warbler' is - my copy of Simpson and Day
>>(Field Guide to Birds of Australia - fifth edition) doesn't list this
>>vernacular name, but there are various Greygones (Acanthizinae) and Old
>>World Warblers (Sylviidae) which have 'warbler' in the common name.
>
>I suspect it is the Golden-crowned Cisticola (Cisticola exilis

Thank you Ron

Just looking at the picture of this little animal, it certainly fits the
bill.  Simpson and Day note that the tail is indeed noticably shorter in
breeding males.  For anyone whose interested, it's a grass warbler (Family
Sylviidae, Subfamily Megalurinae).

> Note that
>the site states that the bird is "also known as a sesticlar" [sic!!!!].

God, I didn't even think that this might be an attempt at a scientific name!
I  wondered what the hell they were talking about.  Well spotted.

Ron, tell me that you had to look that up, or I'll have to be very
impressed.

Cheers
Col