Let's act like grown ups, please! (was RE: An address if desired)

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> raymond mcallister
>
> Here is the address of Nature, the magazine if any of you wish to
> blast them
> for refusing GSP's paper.
> nature@nature.com
>
>     The dinodivr              Ray McAllister

FOLKS!!!

PLEASE DO NOT "BLAST" NATURE ON THIS!!

I have also been rejected from this and other journals for papers whose
merit I thought was sufficient to get in there; I have also reviewed some
really excellent papers that I recommended a journal publish, only to find
out that it was rejected for some reason (maybe the fossil wasn't "sexy"
enough...).  That doesn't mean that I will act irresponsibly and (to be
blunt) immaturely by sending angry e-mail and letters or getting friends to
send angry e-mail letters to them.

Space is limited in Nature and Science, and indeed any journal.  Yes,
sometimes I do scratch my head and wonder why a given paper was published
when another (perhaps superior) paper was rejected.  Yes, these two have
indeed published works that, in my opinion, wasted the readers time and the
ink used to print it.

Be that as it may, I ask the people on this list to act like scientists, or
at least adults.  Sending lots of complaining mail will simply reinforce the
(commonly held) opinion of many serious researchers that those who work on,
or are interested, in dinosaurs had their mental development arrest at
adolescence.

There are more than one place for a paper to be published.  There are other
venues where data can come out.  Nature and Science are great, but they are
not the be-all and end-all of scientific publishing.

If you have a cogent argument to send to the journal, than please do so.  I
can predict, however, that *if* you get a response it will be of the "we
have insufficient space to publish responses to all the papers printed in
this journal" variety.

Just some friendly suggestions...

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist