Re: Dinos galore in JVP 22(3)!!

--- "Thomas R. Holtz, Jr." <tholtz@geol.umd.edu>
wrote:
> DISCOVERY OF MEGALOSAUR (DINOSAURIA, THEROPODA) IN
> THE MIDDLE BATHONIAN OF
> NORMANDY (FRANCE) AND ITS IMPLICATIONS FOR THE
> PHYLOGENY OF BASAL TETANURAE.
> RONAN ALLAIN, pages 548?563.
>
> Ever wondered what a good primitive basal tetanurine
> skull looked like?
> Here it is!  Poekilopleuron? valesdunesis, a new
> specimen questionably
> referred to Poekilopleuron.  The postcrania is still
> being described.
> Possess a long, low, unornamented skull (not
> dissimilar to Afrovenator).

You mention this low unornamented skull. Was it
implied that ornamentation was not typical of basal
tetanurans. I ask because of Cryolophosaurus. Would
that also not be a basal tetanuran. Of course Allain
seems to have kept it out of this analysis so its
relationship to his form is unclear. Would this new
form affect the position of Cryolophosaurus. He
mentions some unpublished work where he implies that
Piatnitzkysaurus would fall within the Megalosaurs. If
this were true,then there is considerable order in
better known basal tetanurans and of the early-mid
Jurassic forms only Cryolophosaurus seems enigmatic.
_EA