Re:

> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:54:22 -0500 (EST)
> From: Josh Smith <smithjb@sas.upenn.edu>
>
> > if you look at the face of the tooth [...]
>
> Which face are you referring to here?  labial?  lingual?  mesial?
> distal?  [...]  They are very similar to "carch wrinkles" in that
> they start at the carinae (generally both--no obvious association
> with denticles), and cut basally for maybe 1.5-3mm, then they
> "flatten out" and head "out" from the carinae across the labial and
> lingual faces of the crowns.

Labial, lingual, mesial, carinae ...  Teeth have a language all their
own, and it's one I'm not familiar with.  Could anyone please point me
at a brief introduction to "tooth osteology", preferably on the web?
Replies directly to me, please, and I'll summarise to the list.  Much
appreciated.

(BTW., for anyone who is similarly mystified by all the bone jargon --
cranial/anterior, caudal/posterior, jugals, pre-orbital fenestrae,
gastralia, cnemial crests and so on -- my recommendation is that you
get a copy of Farlow & Brett-Surman's outstanding book _The Complete
Dinosaur_ and read HP Holtz's chapter giving an overview of a typical
dinosaur skeleton.  It's both comprehensive and comprehensible, which
is a wonderful combination.  You can get it from Amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0253213134/thedinosaurrea0a
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0253213134/thedinosaurreadi
depending on which side of the pond you inhabit.  Top book.)

)_v__/\  "Sitting on the sofa with all our classified information
         ..." -- Monty Python.