Dental Nomenclature

At 08:47 PM 9/18/2002, you wrote:
> Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 16:54:22 -0500 (EST)
> From: Josh Smith <smithjb@sas.upenn.edu>
>
> > if you look at the face of the tooth [...]
>
> Which face are you referring to here?  labial?  lingual?  mesial?
> distal?  [...]  They are very similar to "carch wrinkles" in that
> they start at the carinae (generally both--no obvious association
> with denticles), and cut basally for maybe 1.5-3mm, then they
> "flatten out" and head "out" from the carinae across the labial and
> lingual faces of the crowns.

Labial, lingual, mesial, carinae ...  Teeth have a language all their
own, and it's one I'm not familiar with.  Could anyone please point me
at a brief introduction to "tooth osteology", preferably on the web?
Replies directly to me, please, and I'll summarise to the list.  Much
appreciated.

I actually have a paper in press that reviews this topic in detail for fossil vertebrates. Mike, I will send you a copy if you like. I will also review the subject for the list (later--teaching this morning) if there is general interest.

-Josh

------
Josh Smith
Assistant Professor of Geology
Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences
Washington University
1 Brookings Drive
Campus Box 1169
108 Wilson Hall