RE: Dinos galore in JVP 22(3)!!

Actually, exactly *what* Cryolophosaurus is and exactly *what* it looks like
are far from established.  There are definitely some distorted/damaged parts
of the preserved material which is restored as being natural in the
published drawings, for example.

Also, the few analyses that have considered it place it among more derived
forms (allosauroids) rather than among truly basal tetanurines like
Piatnitzkysaurus, Eustreptospondylus, and spinosaurids.

> He
> mentions some unpublished work where he implies that
> Piatnitzkysaurus would fall within the Megalosaurs. If
> this were true,then there is considerable order in
> better known basal tetanurans and of the early-mid
> Jurassic forms only Cryolophosaurus seems enigmatic.

Actually, I would say that I generally agree with Allain's assesment of
Piatnitzkysaurus.

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742