Re: Kong/Tyrannosaur

Yes, but that was quite common in fantasy from the 30's through the
50's, a combination of science fiction techniques with fantasy themes.
Fletcher Pratt, Sprague deCamp, Robert Heinlein, and James Blish all did
superb examples, as did others.   I only have about 2/3 of the original
Unknowns.  Wish I had em all and regret that the WWII paper shortage
killed off the magazine.  I think it may be the only pulp magazine from
which every story was eventually anthologised.  I think Campbell did a
better job with it than he did with Astounding/Anolog, which became a
platform for some of his more goofy ideas.  He was at his best when
writing as Don A. Stuart (Stewart?).  Re the Tolkien film, I was
disgusted that they left out the Bombadil scenes with their 'earth
abides' theme.  Tolkien could have made Lord of the Rings a lot shorter
if he'd just had Frodo give the ring to Tom and ask him to dispose of
it.
Jim
P.S.  dinosaurs forever (so I won't be too off-topic).