Dinosaur Genera List update #194

The current issue of JVP includes descriptions of the genus Anabisetia,
already in the DGL as a nomen nudum, and a new species tentatively referred
to the theropod genus Poekilopleuron. And the current issue of Nature carries
the description of the "buck-toothed oviraptorosaur" Incisivosaurus. So we
increase the genus count to 957 and change the status of Anabisetia from
nomen nudum. Here are the Dinosaur Catalogue (which I'm now calling the
Catalogus Dinosauriorum) entries for these taxa (the typography should
survive for AOL members on my mailing list, but it will be destroyed for most
others). The APK numbers are guesses until I actually get to see the papers:

Anabisetia Coria & Calvo, 2002
Anabisetia Coria & Calvo vide Coria, 1999 [nomen nudum]
Ornithischia > Ornithopoda > Iguanodontia > Euiguanodontia
Anabisetia saldiviai Coria & Calvo, 2002â
    Anabisetia saldiviai Coria & Calvo vide Coria, 1999 [nomen nudum]â:
        Prepublication name
    Upper Cretaceous > Cenomanian > Lisandro Fm.
    South America > Argentina > NeuquÃn Prov. > 30 km S of Plaza Huincul
        > Cerro Bayo Mesa
    MCF-PVPH-74: Partial skeleton w/ skull material, including partial left
maxilla
        w/ tooth, dentaries, ventral braincase, 4 cervicals, 4 dorsal arches,
4 sacrals,
        2 caudals & 10 caudal centra, nearly complete pectoral girdle & left
forelimb,
        proximal end of right   humerus, nearly complete left hindlimb w/ pes
missing
        metatarsal I, and proximal right metatarsal III and metatarsal V
    Hypodigm APK:10/90: MCF-PVPH-75 headless partial skeleton including parts
        of 3 cervicals, 4 dorsals, one sacral centrum, and 8 caudals, both
scapulae,
        distal end of right humerus, partial pelvic girdle, partial left and
right
        hindlimbs; MCF-PVPH-76 incomplete postcrania including 3 sacral
centra, 6
        caudal centra, 4 fragmenary caudal neural arches, right scapula, left
pelvis,
        partial right ilium, left & right femora, right tibia & fibula,
proximal metatarsal
        II, phalanx; and MCF-PVPH-77, articulated tail, partial left scapula,
humerus,
        tarsus; all in addition to holotype specimen

-----

Incisivosaurus Xu, Cheng, Wang & Chang, 2002
Theropoda > Tetanurae > Coelurosauria > Maniraptora > Oviraptorosauria
Incisivosaurus gauthieri Xu, Cheng, Wang & Chang, 2002â
    Lower Cretaceous > Jehol Grp. > Yixian Fm.
    Asia > China > Liaoning Prov. > Beipiao City > Shangyuan > Lujiatun
    IVPP V13326: Nearly complete skull w/ cervical vertebra
    Hypodigm APK:95/1: Holotype material only

-----

?Poekilopleuron valesdunesis Allain, 2002
    Middle Jurassic > Middle Bathonian > Calcaire de Caen Fm. > Progracilis
zone
    Europe > France > Calvados > Conteville
    MNHN 1998-13: Partial skeleton w/ nearly complete skull
    Hypodigm APK:90/50?: Holotype skeleton only; postcrania not yet described;
        when description is complete this species will likely acquire its own
genus

-----

Thanks to Tom Holtz for sending the JVP information; I have not yet received
my copy of the journal. The Nature information is from their website, which I
have access to as a subscriber. Additions and corrections to these entries
are most welcome.

Recently online is the new genus Epidendrosaurus, a very small theropod
(sparrow-size) very similar to if not actually synonymous with Scansoriopteryx
, recently reported in DGL #192. Its description is slated to appear in
Naturwissenschaften. When I hear that that particular issue has been
published, I'll add the generic name to the DGL. But until then, thanks to
Ben Creisler for sending enough information to allow me to construct its
Catalogus entry:

Epidendrosaurus Zhang, Zhou, Xu & Wang, 2002 [juv.]
Possible junior subjective synonym of Scansoriopteryx
Theropoda > Tetanurae > Coelurosauria > Maniraptora > Scansoriopterygidae
Epidendrosaurus ningchengensis Zhang, Zhou, Xu & Wang, 2002â [juv.]
    ?Upper Jurassic > Daohugou Fm.
    Asia > China > Inner Mongolia (Nei Mongol Autonomous Region) > Ningcheng
        Cty. > Daohugou
    IVPP V12653: Nearly complete skeleton of juvenile individual
    Hypodigm APK:100/95: Holotype skeleton only

-----

Tom Holtz says there's another dino in the works that will appear shortly,
but so far I haven't heard which, if any, of the several pending names I know
of it will be.

Synonymy of Epidendrosaurus with Scansoriopteryx will depend in part on
whether the stratigraphy of the genera holds up. Right now they're pretty far
apart stratigraphically, which makes synonymy less likely. In any case, as
far as I know, Scansoriopteryx beat Epidendrosaurus into print by 21 days,
and neither set of authors knew of the other's work.

The Dinosaur Genera List website URL is

http://members.aol.com/Dinogeorge/dinolist.html