Re: Just a little nitpicking was Re: Dinosaur Genera List update #194

In a message dated 9/22/02 2:03:20 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
david.marjanovic@gmx.at writes:

<< > Dinosauriorum

 Maybe it's dinosaurium. Dinosauria is supposed to be an adjective, right?
 <headache...>

No, dinosauriorum is correct afaik. Dinosauria is treated as a plural, so we
use the plural genitive ending. I had essentially two choices: Dinosaurium
Catalogus or Catalogus Dinosauriorum, which translate as Dinosaur Catalogue
and Catalogue of the Dinosaurs, respectively. I chose the latter (more
pompous-sounding).

 >     Asia > China > Inner Mongolia (Nei Mongol Autonomous Region)

 Well... in Chinese it's Nei Menggu (Zizhiqu). Syllables can't end in l, and
 mong happens not to exist either.

I've seen it spelled any number of ways in the literature. It's spelled Nei
Monggol in Spencer Lucas's book on Chinese fossil vertebrates, for example.
I'll find some reasonable way to spell it and then make sure the entries in
the catalogue are consistent. Maybe take a vote or something: Which spelling
should I use?

Nei Menggu
Nei Mongol
Nei Monggol
none of the above

I'll certainly abbreviate the ridiculously long "Autonomous Region" to AR, so
entries would read, for example, "Nei Monggol AR."