Re: Measurements of two ilia and some other questions about Sinraptorids

Nick wrote:

> It's important to note that the referred specimen may not be the same as
the
> holotype, which is based on teeth, IIRC.

Yeah, I know, that's why I checked for the name "Szechuanoraptor''. The
teeth do not seem diagnostic at all, just like regular Carnosaurian teeth
and are incomplete so that accurate measurements cannot be taken from them.

>>"Szechuanoraptor"
>
> I'm sure others will comment on this but that name is not official
published
> and has only appeared in Chure's 2001 thesis.

When reading through the links you've supplied, the name didn't turn up in
Chure's thesis or are you talking about the published version? HP Mickey
Mortimer wrote about a second message about the thesis, but I haven't seen
it in the DML messages, could it be in there?

> See-
>
> http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2001Nov/msg00118.html
> http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/2002Aug/msg00488.html

Thanks!

> Are there really all that many sinraptorids?

That's what I believe, a family of Allosauroids that seems to be isolated to
the Euroasian plate, with the exceptions from Portugal (Allosaurus sp.) and
the UK (Neovenator). But at the moment, I have no idea about how many
Sinraptorids (or Methriacanthosaurids) lived in the Jurassic or Cretaceous,
many may lie in collections unclassified or are to fragmentary to be of use
(such as the possible Methriacanthosaurid Becklespinax)

> I'm curious.  Does Metriacanthosauridae (implied PAUL 1988) have priority
> over Sinraptoridae (CURRIE et ZHAO 1994)?  Or are implications not
> considered to have priority to non-implications?

IMHO? Yes. Methriacanthosaurus seems to share practicly identical dorsal
vertebrae when being compared to those found in Yangchuanosaurus and the
distal pubis also seems to show similarities to this element in
Yangchuanosaurus. Not that this is sufficient proof of saying that the
family-name should be replaced to Methriacanthosaurus, but still, it should
be an intruiging possibility. Wonder how HP Stephan Pickering's book should
help out with this (really looking forward to the Megalosaur-chapter!)...
How many dorsals and caudals are actually preserved for Methriacanthosaurus?

Cheers,

Rutger Jansma