Re: nitpicking...

Torfinn Ørmen (torfinn.ormen@nhm.uio.no) wrote:

<However, since the ending is supposed to come from Animalia: Note that
Carl Linné's "Animalia" has one Latin ending otherwise typical for names
of countries or geographic areas (like Italia, Gallia, Umbria, Germania,
etc.) Such geographic names are feminine singular nouns. Linné's "Imperium
Naturae" (nature's empire) was divided into "regna tria naturae"
("nature's three kingdoms", i.e. animals, plants and stones) and his
treatment of groups of entities by geographic metaphors was certainly on
purpose. (Before Linné there was no real classification system and he had
to use existing concepts to express classification of organisms in a way
people would understand.)>

  Since the next thing I will say is nitpicking, I thought it fitting this
subject thread:

  There was at least one major system of classification, though not as
explicit as anything developed since von Linné's experiment with Cuvier's
additional insights, was the Golden Ladder, the Scala Natura, which placed
living beings into heirarchies of perfection as they were devised or
considered on their rungs towards Man. This was, essentially, a Biblical
hierarchy, and "kosher" animals were higher than non-kosher animals. Man
was at the peak because of his "final" creation (but woman, for some
reason, is not higher than man, darn it ... :) ) and below were arrayed
the life of Terra Plata, mammals above birds, kosher above non, reptiles
above fish, snakes below anything with legs because of their Eden-borne
disfavor, and so forth. At least one great thing von Linné did before the
classification caught on thanks to Cuvier was destroyed the Ladder of
Nature, and we owe that man gratitude for this. Well, the various journals
and societies and schools named in his honor are plentiful enough to
testify to this....

<True, the word animalia is originally a plural of an adjective made from
the noun anima ("life breath", "vitality"), but Linné wanted to express
the concept of "the domain of beings with life breath".>

  Yeah, literally "those that breathe."

<Upon hearing this last sentence a coleague wailed "Please don't!" (And he
wants the Latin as pompous as possible.)>

  I would concorde with George's restriction to English ... unless the
Latin could be clarified, the name should be oin both languages ...
Catalogus Dinosauriorum -- the Catalogue of Dinosaurs.

  Mesozoica Itamberata .... erk (pardon this excercise, especially the
first word for its Greek nature; I am certain the second is wrong in more
than one way...)

<In this context I just thought I'd mention the title of Schenkling's
catalogue of beetles (31 volumes published in Berlin 1926-40):
Coleopterorum catalogus. I've also seen "Coleopterorum" used in the Latin
title of two other beetles catalogues (never just the group name
Coleoptera), and I've seen one "Lepidopterorum catalogus" (about
butterflies).>

  When used in the genitive and applied as a stem, Coleoptera becomes
"coleopter-", without an -i- infix to add on. Take the form, reduce to its
genitive or nominative stem, add -orum.

  Incidentally, though I passed this before only George responded and I
would like to take advantage of the lists present Latin makeup:

  What is the origin of the terms -orum and -arum? As in, what do they
derive from? I have seen one comparative word, _sorum_, to refer to a heap
of things, as in debris, and thought this was the accurate stem in
application to *M. peeblesorum* ... "the Peebles' [...]"

  Not enough linguistics for me, though ...

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden