SVP PREVIEW: ...VERTEBRATE TRACK ASSEMBLAGES FROM THE EARLY CRETACEOUS OF MARYLAND

    Please pardon this 'tooting of my own horn', but:

    If any of you attending the SVP conference (especially the Ichnological
session, pre-conference) are interested in the vertebrate ichnofauna of
Maryland's Early Cretaceous, you might want visit to the poster session
Martin Lockley will be presenting in my absence, for it is a joint paper.
Here's the abstract:

DIVERSE VERTEBRATE TRACK ASSEMBLAGES FROM THE EARLY CRETACEOUS OF MARYLAND:
A NEW CHAPTER IN EAST COAST ICHNOLOGY.

STANFORD, Ray,  Mesozoic Track Project, P. O. Box 845, College Park, MD
20741-0845 and LOCKLEY, Martin G. Geology Department, University of Colorado
at Denver, P. O. Box 173364, Denver, CO 80217

Hundreds of single-track specimens, individual trackway segments and
multiple  trackway specimens have been recovered as ‘float’ (resistant slabs
dislodged from softer matrix by stream erosion) derived from the Patuxent
Formation, (Potomac Group: Early Cretaceous) of Maryland. Many of the
discoveries represent first records for the Early Cretaceous of Maryland
and, indeed, for the entire eastern U.S.A..  Among these: sauropod manus and
pes prints; diverse theropod  tracks (wide size and shape range, including
several of dromeosaurid affinity);  isolated ornithopod (iguanadontid)
manus and pes and small trackway segments; distinctive and diagnostic pes
and  manus-pes sets of hypsilophodontid origin;  isolated ankylosaurian
manus and pes prints; others of possible basal ceratopsid affinity; isolated
manus and pes imprints of possible crocodilian affinity: manus-pes sets,
isolated manus and  pes imprints and natural casts of pterosaurian origin;
avian footprints; and some footprints of possible mammalian origin.

This diverse ichnofauna demonstrates the potential of the Potomac group to
shed new light on the dinosaur dominated vertebrate faunas of the Early
Cretaceous of Maryland (and Eastern North America), by adding significantly
to the faunal lists hitherto compiled on the basis of skeletal remains. The
potential exists to use this ichnofauna (and skeletal remains) to compare
general vertebrate faunal composition and diversity between eastern North
America, the western USA (e.g., Cedar Mountain Formation),  and Europe (e.g.
Weald).

    Sorry I cannot be there to do the poster session, which will have color
photos in abundance, but Martin Lockley is more experienced than am I, and
I'm sure his discussion will be adequate, since he has been here to see the
collection first-hand.

    If you have any questions for me, personally, after attending the poster
session, just email me at dinotracker@earthlink.net .

    For those of you lucky enough to be going, Bon voyage!  Have a great
time at SVP, whatever your interests.

    Ray Stanford