RE: Epidendrosaurus/Scansoriopteryx Addendum

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Jaime A. Headden
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2002 8:48 AM
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Cc: jdharris@sas.upenn.edu
Subject: Fwd: Epidendrosaurus/Scansoriopteryx Addendum

  As a subsequent report on the nature of publication, and something which
may have implications for journals which publish dinosaur-related taxa
such as _Chinese Science Bulletin_ that may effect synonymy or dates of
publication, Jerry asked me to forward this on.

  Cheers,

  Jaime A. Headden

Jerry (jdharris@sas.upenn.edu) writes:

<I received this morning an e-mail from Fucheng Zhang (first author on the
> _Epidendrosaurus_ paper), a portion of which I think merits broader
> distribution.  To wit:
>
> ****************
> Dear colleagues:
>
> ...This paper was published online on 21 August 2002. According to the
> editor of
> Naturwissenschaften and other scientific journals, the online version is
> publication - not a pre-release, and Springer Verlag is one of the few
> publishers who have real online citable (by the article's DOI number)
> and
> searchable publications. Other publishers have pre-publications but they
> are
> not citable. For a new species name, electronic versions are not valid
> for
> first report if the journal exists only in an electronic version;
> however,
> if a
> print version follows, then the electronic first claim is valid. On the
> ground
> of these reasons, Epidendrosaurus ningchengensis should be a valid name
> since
> its first online publication day (21 August 2002).<<

The important thing is the ICZN and what they go by. Anyone know (I know
it's been asked before. Ok, I've read the whole post and it's answered, kind
of, latter in the post).

> Mr. Stephen Czerkas had worked on a smuggled fossil from China that
> happens
> be the same species of Epidendrosaurus ningchengensis. Unfortunately,
> after
> seeing our online publication, he wrote a letter to us arguing that he
> had
> published a new name for the same species (1 August) earlier than ours.
> But,
> according to our friends in the US who know the truth, his proceeding
> was
> still
> in print at that time. In fact, from the faxed copies of his paper he
> sent
> us from 26th to 29th August 2002, it is not difficulty to find out that
> there
> was not even a fixed page number on many of copies (see a pdf
> attachment, we
> only selected a few of the pages). How could he have published a paper
> on 1
> August, and then there were still no fixed page number by the end of the
> month?
> The only explanation is that his publication date is not true.
>
>  As usual, like most of our respectable colleagues, we are strongly
> opposed
> studying smuggled fossils because we believe it is immoral and will only
> hurt
> paleontological science in the long run. We appeal to you for your
> support
> of
> our efforts in stopping illegal fossil trading and the studying of
> smuggled
> fossils.<<

I asked Stephen point bank about the specimen when he showed me and Greg
Paul (and I think Luis Rey) in his room about how he got the specimen. He
told me that he was working WITH (and that is important) WITH a Chinese
museum and the specimen was in LOAN to him to study. It did come about
because of the Archeoraptor problem, but the specimen IS NOT, AND WAS NOT
SMUGGLED. It was received 'legally' and he was able to study it along with
all the others in his publication. I know for a FACT (a FACT) that he is
working WITH not only Chinese Museums but WITH the Chinese GOVERNMENT
itself! There is someone else who is the go between between Czerkas and the
museums. They are doing they're very best to smooth over the problems with
smuggled fossils and the ability (hold on to your horses) to sell (Oh MY GOD
I SAID SELL!!!!) fossils. Ok, Stephen isn't envolved with that part, the
other guy is, but they are working in conjunction with museum's and
governments.

Besides I've talked to a buyer/seller of fossils and he bought them from a
Chinese Museum! So, there's more to the story than people know.

> **************************
>
>      I have received word from the DOI that they do not, at present,
> have
> any formal relationship with the ICZN or ICBN, though this is largely
> due to
> a lack of funds to pursue such a venture at present -- my guess here is
> that
> the world of non-life science publishing is bigger than its life science
> counterpart and has thus taken first chair.  At any rate, the director
> of
> the DOI organization sent me a paper he presented to the International
> Council on Scientific and Technical Information concerning the function
> and
> purpose of the DOI; I'm still wading through it (there's a lot of
> technical
> computer jargon in it), but it cites another interesting article that I
> think might be of interest to the list.  It's publicly available on the
> web
> at:  http://www.alpsp.org/define2.pdf and was authored by AAAS members
> and
> several international colleagues.  Although the document is merely a
> series
> of suggestions on which no action has been taken to my knowledge, I
> would
> suspect that sooner, rather than later, the ICZN is going to be
> pressured to
> accept on-line publication (with DOI or some other similar
> registration/authentication) as a valid entity.<<

But, would that effect what were talking about or not? It sounds like for
now it doesn't so Stephan's specimen still has priority.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Jerry D. Harris
> Dept of Earth & Environmental Science
> University of Pennsylvania
> 240 S 33rd St
> Philadelphia PA  19104-6316
> Phone: (215) 573-8373
> Fax: (215) 898-0964
> E-mail: jdharris@sas.upenn.edu
>  and     dinogami@hotmail.com
> http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~jdharris
>
> "If one had to sum up, in one word, the reason
> that human beings have not fulfilled, and never
> will fulfill, their ultimate potential, that word
> would be: 'meetings.'" -- Dave Barry

=====
Jaime A. Headden

Tracy L. Ford