Re: SVP Preview

On Saturday, September 28, 2002, at 05:32 PM, Dinogeorge@aol.com wrote:

I see nothing to be gained from demolishing well-established taxa in favor of those with phylogenetic definitions.

Because phylogenetic definitions _are_ definitions, clarity is gained.

In the long run, phylogenetic taxonomy will be viewed as yet another taxonomic fad in an ever lengthening list of such fads and methodologies.

Is this really what you think? I don't think the imminent demise of the Phylogenetic System is just around the corner. Even many prominent advocates of the Linnean System are arguing that we should use BOTH.

Don't go into denial here, phylogenetic taxonomy is here to stay.

John Conway, Palaeoartist

"All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Systematic ramblings: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/
Palaeoart: http://homepage.mac.com/john_conway/_palaeoart.html