Re: SVP Preview

--- npharris@umich.edu wrote:
> Quoting "T. Michael Keesey" <mightyodinn@yahoo.com>:
>
> > Because it rests on the assumption that a given phylogeny is real.
> > Hierarchies may change, depending on the phylogeny. For example,
> > _Maniraptora_
> > may include _Tyrannoraptora_, or _Tyrannoraptora_ may include
> _Maniraptora_,
> > but they will always refer to the same definitions.
>
> I think this can be solved by using definitions with exclusive anchors.

I don't see that there's a problem to be solved. If the phylogenetic hypothesis
changes, the classification should adjust to fit it. As long as we understand
taxa to signify the clades specified by their definitions *and nothing
further*, then what does it matter if something previously thought to be a
subclade turns out to be more likely a parent clade?

=====
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====