Re: SVP Preview

Another problem I had with the JVP Poekilopleuron paper was that the family
(ending -idae) Megalosauridae and subfamily (ending -inae) Megalosaurinae
were not anchored to their type genus. For example, the Megalosauridae are
defined as "Poekilopleuron valesdunensis, Torvosaurus, and Afrovenator, and
all descendants of their common ancestor." Where is Megalosaurus?? This
definition could, given the flaccidity of current theropod cladistics, easily
exclude Megalosaurus from its own family! I could never support this kind of
shenanigan in phylogenetic taxonomy. (Where were the reviewers??)