RE: skin impressions

There are a couple of dinosaur skin impressions on exhibit here at the Canadian Museum of Nature, and a whole slew more held in the collections. Ceratopian and hadrosaur, for the most part.

Jordan Mallon

AIM: jslice mallon

From: "Allan Edels" <edels@msn.Com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Subject: RE: skin impressions
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:59:46 -0400

Kelly:

I know that the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (ANSP) has
casts of various skin impressions (presumably hadrosaurian and
ceratopsian) which they'd had on display, and available to touch, since
1986.

The American Museum of Natural History (AMNH) in NYC has some dinosaur
'mummies', which feature impression of the skin, wrapped around the
dino.

I'm not sure of any museum that FEATURES dino skin impressions.  I know
that a lot of the dinos collected by Sternberg in Canada and the western
USA often had skin impressions.  (I found some around 10 years ago, when
I was at ANSP just beginning working on an old jacket of Sternberg's.  I
don't know if anyone kept them or not).

Allan Edels