Re: neoflightless dinosaurs

Rob Gay (rob@dinodomain.com) wrote:

<Can't say much more than this, but there is a coelophysoid that exhibits
_extreme_ pneumatization in the caudal vertebrae. The whole vertebra is
pneumatic fossae, with the exception of the central portion of the
centrum.>

  I should add that birds lack fossa in their centra, or pneumatophores.
*Archaeopteryx*, etc., lack these as well, and so does *Jeholornis*. I
hope to show soon how unstable and untenable the idea that the oviraptorid
palate is evidence of avian relationships is, based on comparative
analysis and the actual structure of both oviraptorid and all types of
avian palates, including the various restorations of the palate of
*Archaeopteryx*, and that of *Confuciusornis*.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden