Re: neoflightless dinosaurs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 9:37 PM

>   I should add that birds lack fossa in their centra, or pneumatophores.
> *Archaeopteryx*, etc., lack these as well, and so does *Jeholornis*.

And so, reportedly, do turkeys, but not ostriches. And then there's a
vertebra from *Patagonykus* that has a pneumatic fossa, or at least
something similar. Have any Mesozoic birds been investigated for pneumatic
fossae?

> I hope to show soon how unstable and untenable the idea that the
> oviraptoridpalate is evidence of avian relationships is,

Sounds very interesting.

That segnosaurs share many of the birdlike features of oviraptorosaurs just
argues that "Enigmosauria" as a whole could be close to Avebrevicauda, IMHO.