Definitions (was RE: SVP Preview)

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Dinogeorge@aol.com
>
> Another problem I had with the JVP Poekilopleuron paper was that
> the family
> (ending -idae) Megalosauridae and subfamily (ending -inae) Megalosaurinae
> were not anchored to their type genus. For example, the
> Megalosauridae are
> defined as "Poekilopleuron valesdunensis, Torvosaurus, and
> Afrovenator, and
> all descendants of their common ancestor." Where is Megalosaurus?? This
> definition could, given the flaccidity of current theropod
> cladistics, easily
> exclude Megalosaurus from its own family! I could never support
> this kind of
> shenanigan in phylogenetic taxonomy.

And indeed both the PhyloCode and the earlier recommendations of Padian et
al. (1999) advocate the use of the nominative taxon as one of the anchors.

> (Where were the reviewers??)

The author and editors chose to ignore the comments of at least one reviewer
on this!!

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742