Ammonite colouration (was Re: SVP Preview)

Rob Gay wrote:

> Speaking of coloration in fossils, I was once told of a Jurassic ammonite
> that preserved its original coloration: blood red. I forget where it was
> from, but I'm sure it wasn't a preservational artifact.

This makes sense, since red appears black once you're a certain distance
below the water (a lot of deep sea fish appear bright red when
illuminated with white light). I wonder if this indicates something
about where in the water column ammonites lived? If they were bright
red, you wouldn't expect them at the surface.