Re: Scansoriopteryx revisited

Greg Paul (GSP1954@aol.com) wrote:

<Having seen the specimen under scope can testify it is a wee juvie. The
bones are way too poorly formed for it to be an adult, even for a
dinosaur.>

  I would like to know what exactly corroborates "wee juvie". Poorly
formes bones requires something like excessive cortical bone, absence of
trabecularization in the epiphyses and shafts, "juvenile" texture of the
bony surface as in crocodiles (but not birds), lack of fusion in vertebral
elements (I have been looking at close ups of the verts and I see
neurocentral fusion in these in the dorsals, sacrals, and caudals of
Czerkas' specimen), etc. Well ossified palatal bones do not occur in
either crocodilian or bird juveniles, but are present in Czerkas'
specimen, as well as frontoparietal fusion.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden