Re: Majungatholus: Apparent Cannibal

   Okay, let me get this straight, they are now contending that there was
only ONE species of large abelisaurid in the Maeverano Formation? The
authors (Krause et al., 1998) went to some length to show how the type of
*Majungasaurus cranatissimus* was a _nomen dubium_, and likely not the
same species as their new recovery of skull and postcranial material of
*Majungatholus atopus*. There are obvious differences in the dentaries of
the two species, and it has been my contention in the past that the type
of *M. crenatissimus* owes much similarity to *Carnotaurus*, much more
than does *M. atopus*, and that this would suggest the two were
phylogenentically distinct forms, but abelisaurid theropods close to
*Carnotaurus*. Relative placement of the subdental shelf and width of the
shelf to dentary with would support their being two different species. So
what stops *M. crenatissimus* from being a feeder on *M. atopus* and not
the latter being a cannibal? I do not know....

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden