Re: Semantics was Re: New references

<so it is not a fenestra but a fossa,>

  No, a fenestra is independant of any medial apse, otherwise we wouldn't
be talking about temporal fenestra which medially have many bones within
that and on the other side of them. Think of the bulla as a wall, and its
opening with a defined rim as a room with a wall and a "window" in it.
This is the same essential principle, and the word fenestra is enforced,
and if one could see cartilage in fossils, I would suspect that the same
would be true for virtually any theropod, as Mickey indicated Paul, 2002,
supported.

<<so it _may be_ a fenestra (or rather a foramen).>>

<Fenestra is the Latin word for window. :-)>

  I would use the suggested terminology in Wedel et al. for this; a
foramen is essentially the apse of a much smaller foramen, even if it is
the exit of a tube. A tiny perforation in a wall can still be a foramen or
also a tiny "fenestrette" ... but this terminology avoid excess terms
created.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden