Re: Semantics

David Marjanovic (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) wrote (quoting myself):

<<otherwise we wouldn't be talking about temporal fenestra which>>

<is the tunnel under a zygomatic arch.>

  This is erroneous. The channel or passage through which the temporal
musculature has, to my knowledge, never been given a name apart from
relation to what follows: the structure of bone which supports this and
the space they define are called the temporal arcade, as in any colonnade.
The lower temporal fenestra is medially bounded by the pterygoid and
pterygoid flange of the quadrate, or just by the quadrate immediately when
the entire arch and bone structure of the suspensorium is lost. This
medial wall arises from the posterior edge of the fenestra and to decide
that such a wall in the maxillary fenestra would mean it is no longer a
fenestra would be to decide the same for avian orbits, the orbits of
ankylosaurs, lambeosaurine hadrosaurs, and pachycephalosaurs, the nasal
fenestra or nares in many other animals including mammals, etc.; the
presence of a medial wall that is continuous with one rim, whereas a
lamina-like rim is formed around all others defines the structure, as well
as historically, as a fenestra. In my opinion, Mickey saw ONE side as
indicative of a smooth portion of rib as to remove the nature of a
fenestra from the "coding" of *Byronosaurus*. Theoretically, and in
keeping with the narial pneumatics that are quickly becoming more
complexly described in many dinosaurs, all theropods would possess a
medial wall. That it ossifies in some forms should not then mark this
structure as no longer being a fenestra unless there was no true rim. The
prescence of a medial pocket larger in circumference than the opening into
it marks the opening as a fenestra, no matter the prescence of the pocket.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden