Re: FERUGLIOTHERIUM, MAYR ON TROGONS

> João Simões Lopes Filho wrote:
>
> ----------------------
> What is the current status of South American Cretaceous
> ex-multituberculate mammal Ferugliotherium ?
> ----------------------
>
> Well, it's still a ferugliotheriid gondwanathere right?

Right. If it isn't sudamericid meanwhile.

> The
> question now is 'what are gondwanatheres?', seeing as most
> workers seem to be saying that they're not multituberculates.
> I haven't seen much discussion of the xenarthran theory in
> recent papers

All they share with xenarthrans is having been first found in South
America and being hypsodont. The teeth, I mean, but hardly anything else
is known... :.-(

I say they are australosphenidans. Simply because this hasn't been
proposed yet AFAIK, because they have a western Outer Gondwanan
distribution, and because they share an important plesiomorphy (6 cusps
arranged in 2 connected triangles). :o)

> Mayr, G. 2003. On the phylogenetic relationships of trogons
> (Aves, Trogonidae). _Journal of Avian Biology_ 34, 81-88.
>
> [...] monophyly of a steatornithid-trogonid clade
> separate from alcediniforms minus trogonids. That
> steatornithids are closer to trogons than other
> 'caprimulgiforms' partly explains why they didn't group with
> other 'caprimulgiforms' in the Livezey & Zusi supertree.
> Further evidence for 'caprimulgiform' paraphyly is
> presented (see Mayr 2002 - _J. Ornith_. 143, 82-97) and
> non-steatornithid 'caprimulgiforms' are found to group with
> apodiforms. This means that Huxley's 1867
> Cypselomorphae is resurrected, and strigiforms are
> postulated as the sister-taxon to Cypselomorphae +
> (Steatornithidae + Trogonidae).

~:-|

So this means

--+--Strigiformes
  `--+--Cypselomorphae
     |   |--Podargidae
     |   |--Caprimulgidae
     |   |--Aegothelidae
     |   |--Nyctibiidae
     |   `--Apodiformes
     `--+--Steatornithidae
        `--Trogonidae

?
Was there a comment on where Coraciiformes and/or Alcediniformes sit in
that tree, and if hummingbirds are Apodiformes?