Re: "running" humans

Trivia questions:

What is the fastest recorded speed attained by a running human in miles per
hour?
What is the fastest recorded speed attained by a running human in miles per
hour for the distance it would take to evade a predator?
What is an approximation of the highest running speed an average adult human
can reach in miles per hour?
What is an approximation of the highest running speed an average adult human
can reach in miles per hour for the distance it would take to evade a
predator?

Obviously these are sloppy questions, which I will not clarify further, but as
a museum docent I would like to provide ballpark figures when the inevitable
comparisons between calculated dinosaur speeds and human running ability come
up.  There are sometimes comments such as "Well, since humans can reach 27
mph, I think I could outrun _T. rex_ easy!" which I think are, shall we say,
simplistic and which I should like to discourage.  As I understand it, there
are relatively few large animals that we humans can outrun.  I am particularly
interested in average human running speeds, as some of us are not Olympic
caliber sprinters!

--------Ralph W. Miller III
            ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu

Let's see.  Bakker says you multiply walking speed by ten to get running
speed.  Hey!  I'm faster than I thought!