Re: "running" humans

> Trivia questions:
>
> What is the fastest recorded speed attained by a running human in miles
> per hour?

In km/h, 44.3. Which is impressive, even though it was only reached in the
8th 10-m-part of a 100 m run. A mile is... <flick flick flick>... wrong
dictionary... ah yeah: 1.609 km, gives <tip tip> 27.5327 mph.

> What is the fastest recorded speed attained by a running human in miles
> per hour for the distance it would take to evade a predator?

Maybe something around 30 km/h (18.5 mph)... probably depends strongly on
the predator.

> What is an approximation of the highest running speed an average adult
> human can reach in miles per hour?

Maybe 25 -- 30 km/h.

> What is an approximation of the highest running speed an
> average adult human can reach in miles per hour
> for the distance it would take to evade a predator?

I guess 20 km/h (12.4 mph). But don't count on that.
Very fast walking (not sustainable for minutes if you aren't trained) is
10 km/h.

> "Well, since humans can reach 27 mph,

Maybe there are 3 humans that can do that.

> I think I could outrun _T. rex_ easy!"

In December 2001 someone calculated onlist that at 2 steps per second *T.
rex* would have walked with 36 km/h... farewell, Dennis Nedry.

Humans are, when the weather is not too hot/dry, surprisingly good at
(rather slow) long-distance running, however; mainly because we're so good
at sweating. Leakey outrunning a Thompson gazelle is not _completely_
impossible IMHO. Of course, for a f... king-size gentleman like Dennis
Nedry this is again not an option.

> Let's see.  Bakker says you multiply walking speed by ten to get running
> speed.  Hey!  I'm faster than I thought!

Probably it works for ostriches. And maybe for Viennese (walking with 3 or
2 km/h is not a bad estimate). But otherwise... :-/