Re: Carnotaurus

On Sat, 05 Apr 2003 21:48:26
 Dino Rampage wrote:
>Is _Carnotaurus sastrei_ from the Aptian or the Campanian? I've always
>thought it was from the early part of the Upper Cretaceous; now I've read
>somewhere (I think it's the old Dinosauricon) that while the formation
>_Carnotaurus_ was found is Aptian-Albian in age, the sediments surrounding
>the specimen were possibly Campanian-Maastrichtian. Is there any news on
>this?

I think the consensus is Campanian-Maastrichtian (La Colonia Formation of
Chubut Province).  There was indeed some confusion in the past, as the holotype
was previously throught to be from the Albian-Cenomanian Gorro Frigio
Formation.  Check Lamanna et al.'s 2002 JVP paper for a review of abelisauroid
biogeography and radiations.

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte