Re: New Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology (March 2003): New dinosaurs and more

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 19:08:55
 Dinogeorge wrote:
>In a message dated 4/6/03 10:45:28 AM Pacific Daylight Time, bh480@scn.org
>writes:
>
><< GARCIA, G. and X. P. SUBERBIOLA, 2003. A NEW SPECIES OF
> STRUTHIOSAURUS (DINOSAURIA: ANKYLOSAURIA) FROM THE UPPER
> CRETACEOUS OF VILLEVEYRAC (SOUTHERN FRANCE). Journal of
> Vertebrate Paleontology: Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 156-165.
>  A new species of the ankylosaur Struthiosaurus  from the
> Upper Cretaceous (lower Campanian) of the Villeveyrac-Mèze
> Basin, southern France, is described...>>
>
>I have the feeling that this is that "Villeveyracosaurus" ankylosaurian that
>has recently appeared on the Internet. Locality (Meze) is the same, too.

It wouldn't surprise me.  A photo of its pelvic girdle was published in Allain
and Suberbiola's Comptes Rendus Palevol. review of French dinosaurs.  They also
briefly discuss the specimen, and cite a 2001 book on the dinosaurs of
Languedoc, which reportedly included information on the specimen.  Since that
book is over a year old, it isn't too much of a leap to imagine the specimen
being discussed online.  I wonder if the book referred to it as
"Villeveyracosaurus"?

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte