Re: runninghumans

                                                   To:   Dinosaur@usc.edu

                                                   cc:   (bcc: Bert
Dol/SKN/SC/PHILIPS)
                                                   Subject:    Re:
runninghumans

               Vladimír  Socha                     Classification:

               <Seismosaurus@seznam.cz>

               Sent by:

               owner-dinosaur@usc.edu

               2003-04-06 22:37

               Please respond to

               Vladimír  Socha

> > > What is an approximation of the highest running speed an average adult
> > > human can reach in miles per hour?
> > >
> >Maybe 25 -- 30 km/h.
> AFAIK, nobody without a further training can reach over 34 km/h.'

I guess we should also take into account the distance and the terrain.
Sprinters in Olympic Stadiums like Michael Johnson clock speeds of 37 km/hour.
Fine. He is not on a terrain avoiding a predator and has had exceptional
training. Marathon world record
is still an avarage of just over 20 km/hour, but it has been sustained for over
2 hours. And it is on normal roads after years of dedicated training.
I do a lot of running (training for a marathon). An avarage adult human would
be doing rather good if he/she would run 15 km/hour over a distance of 10 km.
Try it, it is not that easy. In terrain however it is a complete different
matter. Maybe topspeeds
of 20-25 km/hour for very short distances. And that would be without evasive
running.

Bert