Re: Young Allosaur feathers?

From: "Tim Williams" <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>

After all, _Sinosauropteryx_ has a feathery integument; but its kissing cousin _Compsognathus_ does not. In _Compsognathus_, the absence of feathers (especially in a specimen preserved in the same depositional environment as _Archaeopteryx_) is likely due to secondary loss.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far as I know, we have no evidence for any form of integument in _Coelophysis_ at all. Not feathers. Not scales. So unless we are able to prove (or "support the hypothesis," as my lab coordinators would have me say) that _Coelophysis_ had scales, there's no reason to believe that it couldn't have feathers.

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

Website: http://www.geocities.com/paleoportfolio/
AIM: jslice mallon