Tar and feathers

· Nothing except bones is known of *Compsognathus*. If the Solnhofen
specimen had type I/II feathers like *Sinosauropteryx*, they were likely
not preserved because feathers are only preserved as impressions there_*_,
and if there were any faint impressions in that specimen, then they are
gone now because the specimen was _polished_ (for lithography). As I have
lamented onlist repeatedly.
· The Berlin specimen of *Archaeopteryx* still has impressions of contour
feathers on both sides of the left lower leg. Get a photo and look. I do
not understand why it was once claimed that *A.* lacked or could have
lacked feathers except for remiges & rectrices.
· It is very hard to see the impressions of the remiges & rectrices in the
Eichstätt and Solnhofen specimens. Though there is no denial that they are
there.
· Would be cool if the spines of *Psittacosaurus* are homologous to
feathers. If they are (hm... how could we test that...), then we can
assume that every dinosaur which was not too big and lived in a not too
hot climate had some fuzzy covering.
· We know that adult *Carnotaurus* did not have feathers over most of
their bodies. But, apart from unknown display structures, bird eyelashes
are feathers, and eyelashes would likely be retained in a secondarily
featherless animal. Which means I wish the paleoartists lots of fun and
creativity.

_*_ With the interesting exception of the isolated feather.