Re: A slap on the hand [RANT]

> perhaps there should also be prison sentences for all of the "responsible"
> academics who I KNOW have destroyed fossil materials, stolen fossil
> materials, collected illegally.......
>
> but, hey, these guys are academics.....they are completely warranted in
> doing ANYTHING they want under the guise of science........
>
> Michael

Michael,

With all due respect, I honestly do not understand your statements. Indeed,
I am very disturbed by them.

Please back up your assertions with verifiable data. Are you referring to
any much-honored person on, or off, this list who has expended years of
blood, sweat, and tears to enrich our understanding of the history of life
on this planet? Can you support your accusations?

Have you ever worked in the field alongside so-called "academics" (before
and long after they earned their credentials) and shared their physical pain
and discomfort under extreme conditions of sandstorms, horrendous
temperature extremes, and questionable food and water supplies, and amidst
problematical tribes (Kurds, Qashqai, Bakhtiari, Luri, and Baluchi, for
example [*all* wonderful, helpful, openly friendly, and very curious -- if
mystified -- people, by the way!]), or have seen for yourself the care these
so-called "academics" take to preserve and record data? Have you ever lain
prone on the baked ground in the hot sun, sighting along string grid-lines
through the blowing dust, to help document each and every bone and fragment
meticuously extracted from a fossil site?

Do you sympathize with the vandals who just this week stole and mutilated
2,000-year-old frescos from the ruins of Pompeii?

-= Tuck =-