From: <Danvarner@aol.com>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Cc: <dmschmidt@sprint.ca>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 5:45 PM
Subject: Re: A slap on the hand [RANT]

dmschmidt@sprint.ca (Michael Schmidt)states:

<< Read carefully everything I wrote, Mr. Williams.

       <snip>

What I DID say was that maybe the law should be enforced equally, and when
an academic collects illegally (bury your head in the sand if you like, but
it DOES happen), then perhaps the law should be applied in EXACTLY the same
measure.

It never ceases to amaze me how academics get into such a tizzy when it is
even HINTED that there is the occasional one that is unethical.

Criminals are criminals. Whether they have a degree or not, and whether
their crime is tresspassing, poaching, theft, destruction- whatever.

One set of laws for EVERYONE.

Do you have a problem with that???? >>

       If I read Tim Williams correctly, I believe he was asking why you did
not report these criminal "academics" to the proper authorities if you had
authoritive knowledge of their criminal activities. I'm reminded here of the
late Senator Joe McCarthy of Wisconsin and his fabled list of communist
conspirators in government from the early 1950's that remains unseen to this
day. DV