ora speeds

"Jura" posted the assertion by Auffenberg that oras regualry walk at nearly 5
km/h. But when I asked Auffenberg for his data set he said he had lost it. It
is not possible for an animal with such a low aerobic exercise capacity to
sustain such speeds. I timed a large sample of oras from videos and found
that they move at a typically reptilian pace of 0.5-2 km/h. When they move at
5 km/h they are hauling, usually in response to a stimulus such as a carcasse
or combat. Auffenbery attributes a far lower cruising speed to the Bengal
monitor. Have pointed out the myth of the fast cruising ora in the literature
a number of times including DA, but looks like one of those myths that will
never die as much as it deserves to.

G Paul