Re: ora speeds

Greg Paul (GSP1954@aol.com) wrote:

<"Jura" posted the assertion by Auffenberg that oras regualry walk at
nearly 5 km/h. But when I asked Auffenberg for his data set he said he had
lost it. It is not possible for an animal with such a low aerobic exercise
capacity to sustain such speeds. I timed a large sample of oras from
videos and found  that they move at a typically reptilian pace of 0.5-2
km/h. When they move at 5 km/h they are hauling, usually in response to a
stimulus such as a carcasse or combat.>

  So they CAN move that fast, and it IS possible? No one said that the ora
must have sustained such speeds normally. Cheetahs are rated on their top
speeds, rather than their walking speed, so I think this is hardly
comparable; their cruising speed is, to my knowledge, only 3 times their
walking speed, comparable to walking through jogging speeds for humans.
VERY few animals can sustain their tops speed for long. Horses are BUILT
for their galloping speed, but even THAT is not a top speed, and you can
kill a horse (the Pony Express proved this) easily by sustaining their top
speeds over a period of an hour. Ostriches have a speed that is
sustainable for longer periods than mammals relative to cruising speed,
but still eventually after a few minutes, they must slow down. Aerobic
capacity would imply that these forms may not sustain these top speeds
they have been clocked at, but it does not question they can reach these
top speeds and using aerobic capacity to limit such would be equatable to
saying that theropods had a poor metabolism because they have a big liver
(Ruben et al.).

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden