RE: "running" elephants - locomotory analogs

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:48:58 EDT
From: GSP1954@aol.com
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: RE: "running" elephants - locomotary analoges

In his post on my comments on differing methodologies for investigating the
locomotion of extinct animals John does not entirely accurately characterize
my position, and deal with tangential and semantic issues that do not get to
the core of the problem.

I won't take the time to respond to Greg's well-explained points here, but my upcoming papers will explain some of the contradictions between the T.rex Nature paper results and what Greg construes as "reality". All of the approaches we've discussed for objectively teasing apart what is reality from what is assumed are science. There's a lot more science to be done before any "conclusion is about as close to true as one can get without a time machine". My post was responding to tangential/semantic issues raised by others and said little explicitly about what Greg does/does not do. I'll leave publicizing my views on the core science stuff for the peer-reviewed literature.

Scientifically yours,  :)
John

John R Hutchinson
NSF Postdoctoral Research Fellow