Re: -SAURUS!

--- Jordan Mallon <j_mallon@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering what the suffix "-saurus" (derived from the Greek "sauros",
> IIRC) literally translates to.  Is it "lizard"?  Or is it "reptile"?  Or is
> it both?  I've heard all sorts of different things.

I'm no Ancient Greek scholar, but I think it's supposed to correspond to
"lizard", although how closely that would have matched "non-ophidian squamate"
in actual usage, I don't know.

It's often translated as "reptile" because that's what the namer means.

I've elected to "translate" it as "saurian" on the new Dinosauricon. (This word
links to the _Sauria_ page, which, when done, will give the etymology as
"lizards".)

=====
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====