Re: -SAURUS!

Dear participants on this thread,

  _herpeto_ in Greek means "reptile" in the conventional sense, as applied
to modern usage. _herpeton_ and its common suffix-forming form, _-erpeton_
is used to reflect a "herpetile" or crawling animal, as in taxa covered by
modern herpetology (amphibians, lizards, turtles, and snakes ... as well
as crocs, I beleive), and has been commonly translated for various basal
and pro-tetrapods and reptiles, as well as some various archosaurs, as
"crawler". Thus it can also refer to a locomotory analogy. However, the
origin of the word _herpeton_ is not specifically linked to "crawling" or
"belly" as these words are distinct in modern and ancient Greek
(_sernometen_ [as for creep] and _koilia_, respectively).

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden