Re: ora speeds

> A couple things:
>
> 1) Auffenberg's observations agree with those of another study:
>
> Lederer, G. 1942. Der Drachenwaren (_Varanus komodoensis Ouwens). Zool.
> Gart. (Leipzig)(n.s.) 14(5/6): 227-244
>
> If I remember HP David Marjanovic correctly, these measurements were
> taken from animals at a zoo.

No idea, all I know is that Zoologischer Garten Leipzig is a zoo. And you
did not remember that I told you it's -waran, not -waren. :-)

> Yet, they still represent an independent account of
> these animals moving at these speeds. If one doesn't mind translating
> German (better if one already knows German), then one might find a data
> set there.

Well, if you can send the paper in some form, then I could try. Not that I
knew when, though. :-(

> 2) Oras, and varanids in general, DO NOT possess low aerobic abilities.
> They are highly aerobic lizards [...]

Yes, varanids cheat, they have an extra complicated lung, as detailed in a
chapter in the Ostrom Symposium volume, plus the famous gular pump. Allows
them to be pretty tachyaerobic without being tachymetabolic, apparently.

> Later work (Hopkins et al, 1995/Frappell et al, 2002) showed that,
> not only do monitors show gas exchange abilities on par with mammals,
> but their aerobic
> limitations are exactly the same as the ones found in mammals.

Wow. Really?

> Furthermore, studies on other monitors (Bennett 1972) show reliance on
> anaerobiosis only at very high temperatures.

Why does temperature matter?