Re: New Jeholornis specimen

> The amount of ossification is a valid kind of character too.

OK, but often it's distributed over 3 sternal and some other characters, I
think. Well, I kept the presence/extent of the keel, and added the suture
vs. fusion between the sterna.

> > > I also cannot determine the condition in Otogornis,
> >
> > From the photo and drawing in Mesozoic Birds it's not possible... I
> > think it's somewhere in the archives that Kurochkin found it to have
> > the euornithine condition.

Could be a false memory. Because in that drawing there is a concave
feature on the coracoid and a convex one on the corresponding scapula, and
I remember that I used this for coding... but both are much bigger than
the tubercles that are really involved in such things, and the quality of
the drawings is of course not optimal either.

> Kurochkin, 1999. The relationships of the Early Cretaceous Ambiortus and
> Otogornis (Aves: Ambiortiformes). Smithsonian Contributions to
> Paleobiology. 89: 275-284.

:-( The biosciences library has 2 other contributions (botanics and
zoology IIRC), but not those to paleobiology...

> > While I am at it, I found out that it doesn't say anywhere what that
> > of *Longipteryx* looks like.
>
> "There is a marked dorsal process near the proximal end of the
> coracoid." This would be the convex scapular facet.

Ah. Sounds logical. Part of the real problem is that I don't know how many
processes there are on such bones, and each has +- 2 names. :-)

> Alexornis' material really sucks, [...]
> I could code Alexornis for your matrix if you want.

Thanks in advance, but probably I'll have to drop it anyway. Like
*Nanantius*, which can be coded for a single character.

> > [...] could someone retype me the matrix or at
> > least the character list?
>
> 1. metatarsal IV considerably smaller [than what?].

Considerably thinner than mt II.

> [...] 5. metatarsal I J-shaped.

In medial aspect (means, I have to take Chiappe's word for it).

Thanks -- all but 4 (plesiomorphy, also exists in dromaeosaurs) and 6 are
in Chiappe & Walker's matrix in Mesozoic birds and therefore in mine, too.
I dropped 7 because I don't know the proximal articular surface of what it
is. As I wrote yesterday, I get such an Avisauridae (with *Eoalulavis*)
most of the time, even though Chiappe & Walker don't get any resolution at
all. ~:-|