Re: BRITISH DINOSAURS SEMINAR

Darren Naish reports:

            << Of interest to some will be Jenkins' criticism of
Anton's artwork: he argues that they are sometimes
anatomically innaccurate, do not make big animals look
bulky enough and are often just wrong when it comes to
skull shape etc. Anton's restorations of hyaenodontid
_Hyainailouros_ and amphicyonid _Amphicyon giganteus_
are said to look like 'oversized woolly-coated Alsatian dogs
and polecats!' (p. 89). He also writes 'This is not a trivial
criticism, the so-called accurate reconstructions of
'renowned artists' such as Greg Paul and Ely Kish (both
dinosaurophiles) are anatomically risible: yet they hold a
major position in the field of palaeoart and have done so for
years' (p. 90). >>

       I've seen Anton's studies and he does very careful work. He has an
thorough understanding of animal anatomy to which I can attest, having an old
sabertooth painting of mine critiqued (read disembowled) by him. Some of
Mauricio's plates in the new book are from paintings done many years ago now.
He's come a long way since then and his pencil studies in the book are
superb. Everyone's a critic, take it for what it's worth...not much. DV