Re: [Re]classification of Eolambia

See:
Head, J.I. 2001. A reanalysis of the phylogenetic position of Eolambia
Caroljonesa. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 21 (2): 392-396. Jason Head
decides, based upon additional Oklahoma Museum material, that the
Lambeosaurine synapomorphies recognised by Jim Kirkland in his original
paper are in fact absent. Head considers Eolambia as an iguanodontian, more
derived than Iguanodon/Ouranosaurus/Altirhinus and close to Probactrosaurus.
In the most comprehensive analysis yet of Iguanodontians Norman (2000) also
considers Eolambia more derived than Iguanodon/Ouranosaurus/Altirhinus, but
less derived than Protohadros/Probactrosaurus. Using then the terminology of
Sereno (1986, 1997, 1999), Eolambia should be considered a member of
Ankylopollexia (due to its close relationship with Probactrosaurus). However
Sereno's basal placement of Probactrosaurus is probably wrong and it is
better considered a member of Hadrosauroidea.

--

Richard Butler
NERC CASE PhD Student